Bishops and Clerks
The outlying rocks and small islands which lie to the west of Ramsey are collectively known as the Bishops and Clerks and, like Ramsey, are subject to strong tidal currents. These tides combined with shoal ground and many outlying rocks has made them the subject of hundreds of wrecks over the years.
The South Bishop Lighthouse was built in the 1830’s to mark the southern and western extent of the rocks warning shipping of their presence. The lighthouse was manned up until 1983 when it became fully automated. Now it is largely powered by solar power and is operated by a sensor which is triggered by poor visibility.
The North Bishop is home to a small colony of puffins and is also excellent for seal watching.